My name is Gemma Sampson. I am 25 years old and am currently in my second year at the University of Greenwich studying Postgraduate Mental Health Nursing.
I have been running since 2015 and in that time I have completed numerous 10k’s, three half marathons and am currently in training for my first full 26.2 mile marathon. I am a member of two running clubs – first claim: Petts Wood Runners and second claim: Dulwich Runners.
I will be taking part in Brighton Marathon 2018 on 15th April and I am raising money for MIND as I see the incredible work they do every day! You can find my sponsorship link here: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/GemmaSampson1
[This me running the Canterbury 10 mile on 21st January 2018 in the snow – hint I’m the one on the right ;)]
This blog is a three week project as part of my transition period. Each day I will aim to do a blog post covering different topics related to the following goals:
- To get an understanding of the mental health & physical health benefits of running and other types of physical exercise.
- To explore the range of activities available (e.g. groups etc) in the community, especially those that are focused towards people suffering from mental health problems.
- To look at the effects of running on different mental health problems.
- To do subjective reflections on how my marathon training affects my mental health.
- To compare and contrast running and other types of intervention in mental health.
I hope you find it informative and interesting!